We’ve been busy at the Grosh team to add another requested feature: better integration to websites. The first step has been to easily lookup something that exists on a website and store the link on your list item. This gives improved barcode scanning and many more advantages,read more about Grosh 4.15 below.
Why website lookup?
You can now link an item to a website and display an image and a direct link inside Grosh.
- If you use barcodes to add items to your shopping or stock list, and you have a website that all the barcodes, it’s a good idea to setup this website to process scanned barcodes. This will let you populate your list with minimum of typing. You can learn more about stock lists in Grosh here and barcodes in Grosh here.
- For a collector list you can link to items missing in your collection to websites that contain information about the items you are collecting. If you’ve shared your collection list with others, it makes it much easier for them to get the right item if they come across something you’ve indicated to be missing in your collection. You can learn more about collector lists in Grosh here.
- For a voting list, this is also handy as you can more easily add images and link to pages with more details on the options you can vote for, e.g. setup a connection to rottentomatoes.com for a voting list on which films to watch together. You can learn more about voting lists in Grosh here.
Anything else planned?
The first step has been to easily link something on your list to a specific item on a webshop. Down the road, we will also plan to add ways to transmit your list items to a webshop.
Lookup using barcode until now
When you tap the barcode icon at the top of the list screen, you can scan the barcode of an item. If the system knows it, it will allow you to add an item to the list without any typing. If not, you need to describe the product eg by name, brand, photo etc. After this not only you but also others can lookup the product and easily add it to their list.
New option to configure barcode lookup
Under list settings, you can now enter so-called lookup URLs. Under lookup using barcode, you can enter the URL.
Examples of barcode lookup URL
- Saxo book webshop https://www.saxo.com/dk/products/search?query=%code%
- Amazon US webshop https://www.amazon.com/s?k=%code%
- Somewhere in the barcode URL you must specify the word %code% – as this where the actual barcode is inserted when the lookup is invoked.
You can invoke your item search with one of the following parameters in your “Lookup by name URL” under list settings:
- %nameCategoryYear% to add these 3 things with space between in the name lookup URL
- %nameCategory% to add these 2 things. Useful e.g. if you’ve defined list with books divided into section named after the author.
- %nameYear% to search using name and year – use for collector lists
- %name% to just search using the name field
Example of name lookup URLs
- Saxo book webshop https://www.saxo.com/dk/products/search?query=%name%
- Amazon US webshop https://www.amazon.com/s?k=%name%
- Movie website https://www.rottentomatoes.com/search?search=%name%
Item details after barcode scan
After the barcode lookup, item details show a suggested image at the top and the item name is extracted from the website. You may need to adjust the name (edit it) or select another image (swipe) before adding the item.
The app also stores the URL so you can easily jump to the external details for the item (using the link button).
Item details now with lookup button
Under list settings you can also define the URL for lookup by name. Once you’ve done that, a lookup icon appears next to the name field when you open item details for something on your list.
Press it to show what’s been found matching on your favourite website.
Find the correct matching item
If you tap the lookup icon next to the name field, a web view appears listing what’s been found using the lookup URL. This may be a list of matching products (eg books). Navigate to the correct match and tap the button at the bottom to save current URL in the note field of your item.
Item details now updated
After selecting to store the URL, you return to your item details, where the note now includes a link to the page you selected. The app also shows a suggested image that you can use for your item. You may swipe to find a better match.
Various minor features and fixes
- Webapp display of recipes is better optimized
- Membercard now showing complete name
- Siri dictation no longer creates duplicates when invoked first time
The Grosh Team
PS As always, if you have any problems or have questions about Grosh, you can always send a message straight from the app under Menu-Information-Other or send an email to support at groshapp.com
Updated 2023-10-24 4.15.5 is a hotfix for Apple Watch OS 10 issue with list not refreshing
Updated 2023-8-13 release 4.15.4 is a hotfix for current view sometimes not refreshed after adding item
Updated 2023-8-9 release 4.15.3 is a hotfix for change list sometimes not working
Updated 2023-7-15 release 4.15.2 is a hotfix for missing label on some buttons
Updated 2023-7-13 release 4.5.1 is a hotfix for crash when bad or norwegian credentials are used