Today Fromto – the wishlist and gift shopping app – is released in an updated version 1.5. Fromto is a sibling to Grosh, the intelligent grocery list app, except it focuses on gift shopping instead of grocery shopping. You can download it for free from http://fromtoapp.com
- The wish list is built to be fully functional whilst you’re offline. In fact, it remains offline all the time you’re using it until you pull-to-refresh on the list. At this time, it will sync any changes you made with the back servers and also bring changes made by other users to your phone. This means the app works very well at locations with low Internet connectivity.
- Adding products found online is much faster. Add a URL in the add item text field at the top of the list to scan the web page for product name and image. This now happens locally on the phone and is much faster than before.
- Runs much faster on Android devices. The previous app was built on a technology that performed well on iOS, but not so well on Android. The new app is equally fast on both platforms.
- Syncing – the app syncs with the servers when you bring it to the foreground or starting it up. If you do changes to the list, you can at any time pull down the list (place finger on the list and move it down and then release the finger) to sync the list with the servers again.
- Long press barcode button – if you have problems scanning a barcode, you can now long press the scan button to the right of the “add items” text field to open a window to enter the barcode number. If Fromto can find the barcode number in its database built by other Fromto users, you will not need to enter product name on the wish list.
- No Facebook Login – When you first install Grosh, you can start using the app without specifying any account details. For this reason and other circumstances, we’ve decided to remove Facebook login from version 1.5. Read more about it in this blog post.
- Various small bug fixes have been sorted during the rewrite of the app.
- Amongst these are technology related issues we had with the old version, e.g. keyboard not appearing on some Android devices.
The Fromto Team
PS As you may know, Fromto is a sibling app to Grosh, the intelligent shopping list app. Both apps share technology both for the app and the backend servers. So, of course you can expect a new generation of Grosh to be launched shortly 🙂
PPS If you run into any problems or have questions to the new version, you can always send a message to our support team.